All persons must complete the formal written application for admission to graduate studies. General qualifications for admission are a master's degree in school counseling, counseling with a school counseling add-on, from a regionally accredited college or university (CACREP/NCATE preferred).

Required Admissions Materials

Application Fee 
Copy of Professional Certifications/Licensure
Copy of a Scholarly Paper
One Letter of Recommendation
Typed Narrative of Personal Philosophy of Education

Current Résumé or Curriculum Vitae

Mailing Address - All application materials and admissions correspondence should be mailed to:

Mercer University 
Office of Graduate Admissions
Penfield College
3001 Mercer University Dr. 

Atlanta, GA 30341

Priority Deadlines

Fall Semester (August) - July 1

Spring Semester (January) - November 1

Admission Requirements

Application –Complete the Application for Admissions. You may complete the Application for Admission online.

Application Fee -Please include $35 application fee ($50 for international applicants) in the form of a check or money order made payable to Mercer University. Do not send cash. The application fee is nonrefundable and cannot apply toward tuition. Former or current students of Mercer University need not submit another application fee.  Mailing address is provided above.

MAT/GRE - All applicants must take the Millers Analogy Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)Scores must be no more than five years old at the time of application. Testing information can be provided through the official MAT or GRE website. The target score for the MAT is 406 and the target score for the GRE is 152 verbal and 144 quantitative. This is but one tool used in the decision making process. 

Unofficial MAT/GRE - If you have already taken the MAT or GRE and have the score results, we request that you include this information with the application. For example, you may submit a copy of the unofficial score report given at the time the test was taken (sometimes referred to as the "walk-out score report") or a copy of your examinees score report received through the mail. This will allow the admissions department to begin the file evaluation process. This does not replace the requirement of an official score report for those applicants who are offered admission.

Transcripts –Applicants must submit one official transcript from each college and university attended. Transcripts are required for both undergraduate (including summer school and studies abroad) and graduate course work, regardless of length of stay or if the grades are listed on another school's transcript. A transcript request form is provided to assist you in this process. Complete the transcript request form and submit it to each school's registrar. The registrar will return the transcripts to you in a sealed institution envelope. Do not open the envelope. Former and current Mercer University students need not request a Mercer University transcript. 

Copy of Professional Certifications/Licensure – Applicants must hold S-5 counseling certification.

Copy of a Scholarly Paper – Applicants must submit a sample of his/her writing ability. This paper is preferably one written during graduate school.

One Letter of Recommendation – Submit one letter of recommendation/support from a person in current or past leadership structure.

Typed Narrative of Personal Philosophy of Education – The ideal length is two to three typed double spaced pages.

Current Résumé or Curriculum Vitae – This should include current and past job responsibilities and positions held.

Additional Requirements for International Applicants

A. Evaluation of Foreign Credentials - Applicants who completed all or part of their education abroad are required to have their foreign educational credentials evaluated by an independent evaluation service. A Course-by-Course and Grade Point Average Equivalent Evaluation is required for undergraduate admission. Contact the Office of Admissions for information about evaluation services if your foreign credentials have not been evaluated. If an evaluation has been done, you must submit an official sealed copy with your application.

B. Official Translations -  Documents submitted in a language other than English must be accompanied by official translations.

C. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - The TOEFL or IELTS is required for international applicants whose primary language is not English. The scores may not be more than two years old. Official score reports must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions by the Educational Testing Service. The Educational Testing Service institution code for submission of official score reports is 5025. Unofficial copies of the score report may be included with the application for initial review and evaluation. This does not replace the requirement of an official score report for those applicants who are offered admission.

Exception: The TOEFL is not required of international applicants who have attended another U.S. institution and completed freshman English Composition I and II with grades of "C" or higher.

D. Financial Guarantee - International applicants who wish to obtain an I-20 for F-1 visa must include financial documentation showing ability to finance tuition and living expenses for one year. Financial documents must have a current date and indicate available funds of US $25,000.

E. Visa Status - International Applicants Who are Currently in the United States - Documentation of your current visa status must be submitted with the self-managed application. (Copy of I-20 and I-94 if on an F-1 visa; copy of visa stamp and I-94 if on another type of visa; or copy of Resident Alien card [front and back] if classified as a Resident Alien.)

Instructions for Undergraduate Transient Applicants

To enroll as an undergraduate transient student, applicants need only submit the following as a complete application packet:

  • Application
  • $25 non-refundable application fee
  • Letter of authorization completed by the home institution that certifies good standing, grants permission to take Mercer University courses, and specifies which course(s) may be taken.