What is a Human Services degree program?

 The study of Human Services:

• Prepares students to work in the field of social services as generalists (those who have a range of knowledge and competencies that equip them to work in a broad spectrum of organizations)

• Teaches that the human services professional should be dedicated to helping clients become self-sufficient through teaching problem solving, using case management skills, and using client-centered mental health practices.

Do I have choices within the major?

Human Services majors choose one of three courses of study, each of which is designed to help the student focus on a career of service delivery in specific kinds of settings.

• Mental Health (to pursue a graduate degree in counseling)

• Social Services (to work in a Human Services organization)

• Substance Abuse Services (to pursue certification in Addiction Counseling)

What kinds of jobs will I be eligible for?

Careers in Human Services are many. Job titles, responsibilities and descriptions are as varied as are the organizations and agencies. Human Services graduates are prepared in:

• Case management

• Interpersonal relations

• Conflict resolution

• Grantmaking

• Interviewing

• Client contact

• Social sciences research

• Working with clients from diverse backgrounds

• Additional competencies related to the chosen course of study

Where will I work?

Human Services graduates find positions in:

• Large public agencies, such as the Division of Family and Children Services

• Small nonprofit ministries

• School systems

• Organizations designed for the aging population

• Their own agencies (some of our more entrepreneurial graduates begin their own nonprofit organizations)

Where will I attend classes?

The complete Human Services major, including the general education core, is offered at three Regional Academic (RAC) Centers:

• Douglas County (west of Atlanta)

• Henry County (south of Atlanta)

• Macon (on the Macon campus)

When do the classes meet?

Mercer University’s Regional Academic Centers are designed to meet the needs of working adults. Classes meet on weekday evenings or on Saturdays, once a week for eight weeks. There are two eight-week sessions during each of the Fall and Spring Semesters, as well as one eight-week and one four-week session during the Summer Semester.  Most enrolled students take two classes per session for full time enrollment for the semester, meeting two different days of the week.  

Are any classes offered online?

70% of the courses required for the Human Services major are offered in online format.

Can I work and go to school?

Most of our students work, take care of families, and attend classes.

How many credit hours can I transfer into Mercer?

The University Registrar determines which courses taken at other institutions are directly comparable to Mercer’s courses and will be credited toward completion of degree requirements at Mercer University.  Course work with a grade of C- or better earned at regionally accredited institutions will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis and considered for transfer as an equivalent Mercer course or as elective credit.  Remedial or sub collegiate credits will not be transferred.  The maximum credit allowed from all two-year colleges attended is 64 semester hours (96 quarter hours) including all courses taken as a transient student, and no more than 96 semester hours of credit can be transferred from all regionally accredited colleges/universities.  A minimum of 32 credits must be earned in residence at Mercer University for graduation regardless of the number of credits accepted in transfer.

How long will it take me to complete the program?

It depends on how many transfer credits you bring with you and how they fit within the general education and major requirements. All the major classes will be offered within a two-year cycle.

Why do I have to provide immunization records?

Mercer’s immunization policy is a University policy and not an admissions policy, which is designed for the safety of our students.  If immunization records are not released to Mercer before the first semester, you will need to provide them before the end of your first session or it will affect your future enrollment.

How much is tuition?

May I apply for financial assistance?

Financial assistance is offered on a case-by-case basis.  Students may be eligible for federal and/or private loan programs. The Mercer University Office of Student Financial Planning is equipped to provide up-to-date information on financial assistance available to students via federal loan programs.  The first step to apply for federal loans is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) form, available online. You may complete this form as soon as you apply to the program, but eligibility will be determined only after you have been accepted by Mercer University. Please note that federal loans are available to U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents only.