Who should choose the Liberal Studies major?

This individualized major is designed for students who want a bachelor's degree based upon a strong liberal arts foundation for their personal and professional development. It is for students who want to make the best use of previous course work, as well as for those who may have been passed over for professional advancement because of the lack of a degree. The program offers an individualized approach to study through a select range of courses and fosters students' ability to think critically and constructively in relation to their personal academic goals. Candidates will work with a faculty advisor to plan their degree as they become self-directed learners.

Do I have to have my concentrations chosen before enrolling?

Not all all.  Students work through the available concentration options with direct advisor interaction to allow individuals to tailor the program towards their personal and/or career goals as they work through the program.  The individualized approach to this program allows each student to essentially design their own major.

Where are the classes offered?

All courses are available online or on campus at Mercer locations in Atlanta, Douglas County (Lithia Springs), Henry County (McDonough), and Macon.

Are any of the courses offered online?

Many classes are offered completely online, and some classes are offered in a hybrid format - a combination of online and face-to-face meetings.

When do the classes meet?

Mercer University’s Regional Academic Centers are designed to meet the needs of working adults. Classes meet on weekday evenings or on Saturdays, once a week for eight weeks. There are two eight-week sessions during each of the Fall and Spring Semesters, as well as one eight-week and one four-week session during the Summer Semester.  Most enrolled students take two classes per session for full time enrollment for the semester, meeting two different days of the week.

Can I work and go to school?

Most of our students work, take care of families, and attend classes.

How many credit hours can I transfer into Mercer?

The University Registrar determines which courses taken at other institutions are directly comparable to Mercer’s courses and will be credited toward completion of degree requirements at Mercer University.  Course work with a grade of C- or better earned at regionally accredited institutions will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis and considered for transfer as an equivalent Mercer course or as elective credit.  Remedial or sub collegiate credits will not be transferred.  The maximum credit allowed from all two-year colleges attended is 64 semester hours (96 quarter hours) including all courses taken as a transient student, and no more than 96 semester hours of credit can be transferred from all regionally accredited colleges/universities.  A minimum of 32 credits must be earned in residence at Mercer University for graduation regardless of the number of credits accepted in transfer.

Why do I have to provide immunization records?

Mercer’s immunization policy is a University policy and not an admissions policy, which is designed for the safety of our students.  If immunization records are not released to Mercer before the first semester, you will need to provide them before the end of your first session or it will affect your future enrollment.

How much is tuition?

May I apply for financial assistance?

Financial assistance is offered on a case-by-case basis.  Students may be eligible for federal and/or private loan programs. The Mercer University Office of Student Financial Planning is equipped to provide up-to-date information on financial assistance available to students via federal loan programs.  The first step to apply for federal loans is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) form, available online. You may complete this form as soon as you apply to the program, but eligibility will be determined only after you have been accepted by Mercer University. Please note that federal loans are available to U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents only.