What are the major goals of the program?

 We want our students to be leaders in the field of public safety.  Because our discipline is so broad, we want to foster the development of critical thinking skills so our graduates are prepared to properly assess and respond to the variety of situations faced by today’s public servant.


Can I get credit for trainings I am required by my employer to attend?

Yes, at the undergraduate level, students who are certified Peace Officers and Corrections Officers with the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council (POST) are eligible to test out of up to 12 semester hours of credit based on their POST training records.  In addition, students can earn POST training hours for some of the courses offered.

How long will it take me to graduate if I have never gone to college before?

Our bachelor’s degree is a 4 year degree.  Some students may be able to finish faster depending on the course load they select with their academic advisor.  

Will I learn how to be a cop or a fire fighter?

No, we do not teach the technical skills required to go into law enforcement or fire services or emergency medical services.  In addition to the theoretical frameworks which have shaped today’s public safety systems, students learn about how ethics, communication, and professionalism must be used throughout all areas of public service. 

Are any of the courses offered online?

At the undergraduate level, students are eligible to complete over half of their courses entirely online.

If I have completed an associate’s degree prior to enrolling at Mercer, can I take all of my courses online?

Through the Public Safety +2 option, and with careful advisement, students may complete all of their remaining coursework online.  The online classes are taught by the same faculty that students find in our traditional classroom settings.

Are there internships required?

At the undergraduate level, students without any experience in the field of public safety are required to complete an internship in order to graduate.  For those students who have 2 or more years of professional experience, the internship is not required but can still be taken or another CRJS/PSFT course is taken in place of the internship.

What is the difference between the undergraduate and graduate program in Public Safety Leadership?

  • ·       The undergraduate program focuses on general education, courses in the major and elective credits.  The courses in the major focus on a broad understanding of the components of the public safety system, as well as ethics, communication, research, and leadership. 
  • ·       The graduate program focuses on leadership, organizational behavior, ethics, and offers students the opportunity to put their research knowledge into action through hands on research activities including worksite based projects. 

Where are the classes offered?

All courses are available online or on campus at Mercer locations in Atlanta, Douglas County (Lithia Springs), Henry County (McDonough), Macon and Newnan.

When do the classes meet?

Mercer University’s Regional Academic Centers are designed to meet the needs of working adults. Classes meet on weekday evenings or on Saturdays, once a week for eight weeks. There are two eight-week sessions during each of the Fall and Spring Semesters, as well as one eight-week and one four-week session during the Summer Semester.  Most enrolled students take two classes per session for full time enrollment for the semester, meeting two different days of the week.  

Can I work and go to school?

Most of our students work, take care of families, and attend classes.

How many credit hours can I transfer into Mercer?

The University Registrar determines which courses taken at other institutions are directly comparable to Mercer’s courses and will be credited toward completion of degree requirements at Mercer University.  Course work with a grade of C- or better earned at regionally accredited institutions will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis and considered for transfer as an equivalent Mercer course or as elective credit.  Remedial or sub collegiate credits will not be transferred.  The maximum credit allowed from all two-year colleges attended is 64 semester hours (96 quarter hours) including all courses taken as a transient student, and no more than 96 semester hours of credit can be transferred from all regionally accredited colleges/universities.  A minimum of 32 credits must be earned in residence at Mercer University for graduation regardless of the number of credits accepted in transfer.

Why do I have to provide immunization records?

Mercer’s immunization policy is a University policy and not an admissions policy, which is designed for the safety of our students.  If immunization records are not released to Mercer before the first semester, you will need to provide them before the end of your first session or it will affect your future enrollment.

How much is tuition?

May I apply for financial assistance?

Financial assistance is offered on a case-by-case basis.  Students may be eligible for federal and/or private loan programs. The Mercer University Office of Student Financial Planning is equipped to provide up-to-date information on financial assistance available to students via federal loan programs.  The first step to apply for federal loans is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) form, available online. You may complete this form as soon as you apply to the program, but eligibility will be determined only after you have been accepted by Mercer University. Please note that federal loans are available to U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents only.